Monday, October 4, 2010

Helmet Time

Any time int he helmet is good time. At Nutley i get to fight (and get beat about the ribs by) the heavy guns. Sunday was cloisters, which is always enjoyable.

The NY Medieval Faire is put on by the city in Fort Tryon Park. As with every event in NYC it is huge. A million people or so show up. It is laid out on the road through Ft. Tyron leading up to the Cloisters Museum, which is the best Medieval museum in the US. The SCA does a demo on the south law along with other re-creation or re-enactment groups like the Adrian Empire.

This year it was poorly attended by fighters--we're on a downswing in Ostgardr right now. It was only me, Viceroy Alexander, and Avran. I still had a lot of fun.

In the first show i challenged Alexander to a passage of arms. We fought three bouts each with sword and shield, two weapon, and great weapon. We played it like a true medieval combat a plaisance. We even had musicians playing a processional as we entered (thanks, John and Rufina!). The crowd liked it to.

Second show we just traded off fighting each other. i did get a couple more two weapon bouts in.

Good prep for crown? Well, I got to fight a competent fighter nine fights, and then do a meat grinder. Good for the wind. Alexander's main weapon forms--two weapon and great weapon--are things I am tyring to practice every week right now in case I make it to finals. I learned a couple of nice tricks. No, demo fighting is not like regular fighting. I throw fewer leg shots. I try to be a bit flashy and make some noise. But helmet time is always good, and I had a lot of fun.

I also made it to the gym on Saturday and had a good workout--spin plus weights. Feeling good about my conditioning at the moment.

No comments: